Using Components as Drivers for Membership Growth
This event is run by Answers for Associations. To register visit www.answers.net.au.
Learn how to use chapters, special interest groups, committees and other sub-groups of your association as significant generators of sustainable membership growth.
“Components” refers to chapters, special interest groups, volunteer hubs, and any other group that is a subset of your association. Your components matter because they are the gatekeepers of your brand. This presentation will detail how to leverage your components to gain significant increases in revenue, member retention, chapter acquisition and more.
This session will review the tried and true practices of developing and on-boarding new components. The process can be an overwhelming experience and a heavy lift for passionate volunteers. We will do deep dive into managing the process, streamlining the experience, and managing expectations on both sides.
A section of the day will also be spent on the structure, maintenance, and oversight of components. Often, component relationships with the national association can be complex and difficult to manage. We will discuss best practices, implementation of those practices, and how to measure success.
The key takeaways from the session will include:
Understanding your component’s roles in relation to the parent.
What makes a good component?
Acquiring new components – process and procedures.
Strengthening components to drive membership.
Using components to strengthen volunteer pipeline.
Steps to increase value proposition and engagement.
Leveraging component to create new revenue streams or tighten existing ones.
“Dresden’s presentation at the 2014 ASAE Membership, Marketing, and Communications conference was very useful. She had great insights into some of the most common challenges associations face with member retention and gave practical, proven tips on how to make improvements. She was also generous about sharing her resource materials with other conferees.” Sheila Ward. Interim Associate Director/Director of Communications and Membership. The American Society of International Law (ASIL)
Dresden Farrand, CAE, MPA, MPP. Vice President, Membership & Chapter Development, Independent Electrical Contractors (US). Email: email@example.com Mobile: +1 703.650.0053
Dresden is responsible for the direction and overall management of membership services and the component relations program of the Independent Electrical Contractors. Within sixteen months in current role, Dresden started four new chapters and created over $200,000 in new revenue. Dresden has extensive expertise in membership/sponsorship management, member engagement, program management, governance, strategic planning, leadership development, innovation, diversity, and evaluation.
Prior to her new role, Dresden led her previous organization through an expansion and overall restructuring of the membership program and component model which included a significant membership dues increase, a 35% increase in membership over 3 years, the addition of 14 chapters new chapters, a 24% increase in retention, and increased revenue. As a Certified Association Executive (CAE), Dresden is actively engaged professional association communities. This includes being a passionate speaker in membership development, component relations, and retention strategies.
Dresden served on the CAE Commission and holds two Masters degrees in Public Administration and Public Policy. Dresden is also a 2016 Forty Under 40® Award Recipient of Association Forum and USAE.
DATES & CITIES
10am-4pm (arrive at 9.30 for tea, coffee and networking)
City Center Location, To Be Advised
- Until 31 Dec - $360
From 1 Jan - $540
Association Professional & AuSAE Member
Until 31 Dec - $290
From 1 Jan - $390
Until 31 Dec - $140
From 1 Jan - $190
EVENT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Concessional Rates - Concessional rates are available to professionals from nonprofits with a turnover less than $200,000 per annum or those flying to attend the event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request this rate.
- AuSAE Rate – By registering at the discounted rate for AuSAE members, you are giving permission for your details to be shared to the extent necessary to verify your membership status.
- Limited Registration - Registration at the event is only available to staff and volunteers currently working for an association. There is no exhibition at the event and no registration options are available for suppliers wishing to promote their product. Limited sponsorship opportunities are available. Please contact email@example.com for more information about these.
- Substitutions & Cancellations - Delegates may nominate an alternative person from their same organisation to attend the event in their place at any time at no extra charge. However one registration cannot be shared amongst multiple delegates.
- Payments - All bookings must be paid in full to guarantee registration. Once payment has been received, an email confirmation and a receipted invoice will be sent. If payment is not made at the time of booking, registration will be provisional and can be cancelled.
- Speakers Views - Views expressed by the event speakers are their own. We cannot accept liability for advice given, or views expressed, by any speaker at the event or in any material provided to delegates by our guest speakers.
- Photography & Filming - For promotional purposes, there may be photography and video production taking place during the event. Delegates who do not wish to be filmed or recorded should advise the organisers by email to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the event. By registering for this event, you authorise us to take photos at the event. You further agree that we are the owner of the copyright and photographs and that they may be used for any purpose we consider appropriate, including publicity, education or other activities and may earn income for our own benefit.
- Cancellations and Refunds – You can cancel your registration and receive a refund (less a $50AUD administration fee) anytime up to 21 days prior to an event. After that time refunds are not available. If cancelling within 21 days of the event you can choose either a credit or to transfer your registration to someone else. All credits expire at the end of 2019 so must be used on events running in the 2019 calendar year.
- Data Protection - By registering for this event, you consent to having your name and organisation distributed to event attendees. They may also be provided to event sponsors. If you wish to opt out, email email@example.com.
- Alterations to Programme, Cancellation/Postponement of Event - We reserve the right to make alterations to event programs, venues and timings. In the unlikely event of an event being cancelled, a full refund of the registration fee will be made. Liability will be limited to the amount of the fee paid by the delegate. In the event that the event is postponed or the dates changed, the organisers shall not be liable for any expenditure, damage or loss incurred by the delegate. If by re-arrangement or postponement the event can take place, the booking between the delegate and the organisers shall remain in force.